Getting a Student Pass

The School helps with the application of a Student Pass. The following documents must be submitted together with the application form:

  • Original birth certificate
  • School graduation certificates
  • Report card / school transcript (highest level)
  • 2 passport-sized photographs (with a white background)
  • A photocopy of the original passport
  • Documentary proof of financial ability and parent’s statement of monthly income (for visa-required countries)

All documents are to be translated to English. Copies of both the original and the translated version must be submitted. The name on all documents must tally with the name on the passport.

The result of the application for a Student Pass will only be known in 4 - 6 weeks. The ICA will inform the School of the outcome of the application. Should the Student Pass be approved,  an in-principle approval letter will be issued. Should the application be unsuccessful, the ICA will issue a letter of rejection.

Successful Applications

For successful applicants, the School will arrange for an appointment with the ICA for the completion of your Student Pass application. To have a successful completion, you will have to comply with the requirements stated in the in-principle approval letter. You may be required to:

  • produce original documents for verification during your appointment
  • undergo a medical examination
  • pay a security deposit


The initial application fee for a Student Pass will be borne by the School. Any subsequent fees that may be charged by the ICA in connection with your application must be borne by you.

The security deposit will be returned to you upon the cancellation of your Student Pass. International students who are at or above 16 years old must pay the security deposit in the form of a Banker's Guarantee. Please refer to the table below:

Country Amount
Malaysia and Brunei Nil
Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines S$1000
People's Republic of China, India, Bangladesh and Myanmar S$5000
Other countries (including Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea and Russia) S$1500

How to get a Banker's Guarantee:

Option 1

  • Student purchases the Banker's Guarantee from a local bank.
  • The procedures and charges for the purchase of a Banker's Guarantee is determined by the respective banks.

Option 2
NYU Language School purchases the Banker's Guarantee for the student. The fee for the purchase depends on the duration of coverage and the amount required as a security deposit.

Rejected Applications

Should your application for a Student Pass be rejected by the ICA, you may ask the School to write a letter of appeal on your behalf.

Student Pass Regulations

The Student Pass is not transferable and will be cancelled when one is no longer a student of the School.

The School will inform the ICA of any cases of withdrawals or cancellations of Student Pass. The Student Pass must be surrendered to the School upon any cancellations. The ICA will then issue a cancellation letter addressed to the student. Students will be able to stay in Singapore for 30 days on a social visit pass upon the cancellation of Student Pass.

Student Pass Renewal

The School helps with the renewal of Student Pass.  However, the responsibility of ensuring that the Student Pass is renewed on time falls on the student. The School will not be responsible if your pass expires, or your application for renewal is rejected by the ICA because you were late in submitting your application for renewal.