The Primary 4 course prepares students on subject based learning where they will learn subjects such as languages, mathematics,science, art, music and social studies.
The course consists of 10 modules - English, Mathematics, Science, Chinese, Filipino, Music, Arts and Crafts, Social Studies, Physical Education and Values Education.
Module 1: English
The Primary English module is focused on six key areas- Reading, Listening, Speaking, Grammar and Vocabulary, Writing and Representing.
Listening, Reading and Viewing - Identifying the main ideas and details of the texts. Learners will also be taught how to make simple generalisation, predictions and inferences and how to respond to different texts e.g.; sharing their own opinion or retelling stories.
Speaking- Learning to speak with accurate pronunciation and intonation, building confidence to read aloud and present ideas clearly. Learners will be able to demonstrate his understanding of spoken grammar by sharing ideas and point of views with his classmates.
Grammar - Learners will be taught the language in use through verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. this will lead him to apply his knowledge of grammar to complete written and oral activities.
Vocabulary - Learners will be guided in developing a greater range of vocabulary as well as skills for deducing the meaning of unknown words.
The words and phrases they have learnt will be able to support their development of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Writing and Composition - Learners will be guided in planning and organising ideas to produce a variety of texts,narratives,letter etc.Organising text and paragraphing will also be taught.
- Develop reading skills in Prose, poetry and short dramas.
- Acquire knowledge of grammar in Tenses, parts of speech, direct and indirect speech and also able to construct their own sentences, and paragraph writing.
- Able to use rich vocabulary while framing sentences, paragraph writing, visual texts and open ended comprehensions.
- Able to write informal correspondents.
Module 2: Mathematics
It is based on mathematical problem solving. It involves concepts, skills, process, Metacognition and attitudes. Primary 4 Maths also divided into 3 branches- Numbers, Measurement and Geometry and Statistics.
- Develop understanding on the whole numbers by factors, multiplication and division and fractions.
- Able to acquire knowledge on angles, geometrical figures, line symmetry and Area and perimeter.
- Able to acquire knowledge on Decimals and four operations of decimals.
- Able to understand time and graphs.
Module 3: Science
It is based on knowledge, understanding and application; skills and process; ethics and attitudes.
Primary – 4 Science involves- Read, interpret, concepts, highlight, elaborate and solve.
- Develop understanding on the life cycles of Animals and Plants.
- Acquire knowledge on matter, light and heat energy.
Module 4: Chinese
This is a basic-level 2 Chinese course designed for Primary school 4th grade students who have grasped basic 1 knowledge. English will still be used as the medium to conduct lessons and facilitate learning. This course covers the speaking and listening skills as well as language knowledge needed in learning environment and social activities. Meanwhile students will be exposed to Modern Chinese Culture by taking this course.
By the completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the conversation in the learning environment and social activities then respond to it properly.
- Transfer the language knowledge they have learned into practice such as ordering food, attending CCA and celebrating festivals as well as sharing ambitions, etc.
- Pronounce the basic vowels: a o e i u ü plus consonants and tone marks accurately.
Module 5: Filipino
Knowledge acquisition of the language and develop further the language necessary for reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Enhance further the interest to listen well to others
- Play the chosen yet interesting roles from the Filipino stories which were directly used as the learning materials
- Attentively listen to the speaker assigned to answer questions related or to provide verbally the meaningful message behind
- Describe the elements of Filipino learning materials like alamat, talambuhay,etc after listening critically
- Use polite Filipino words in different situations of daily life
- Apply the learned figures of speech in Filipino to describe people, place, event, one self and others in the community
- Express oneself thoroughly in FIlipno through argument/debate, poetry, song writing, role play etc
- Carefully evaluate one’s thoughts and confidently share opinions to others
- State the Filipino stories after learning it with correct sequences and characterization
- Understand the content after reading so as to answer “why” and “how” type of questions about stories being read
- Read Filipino paragraphs, poems, and stories with correct tones, emphasis and presentation
- Identify and point out the part of Filipino stories, the beginning, the plot and ending.
- Develop further skills in writing different essays in Filipino and
- Write paragraph in Filipino with clarity
- Write paragraph about one self,requests, and news correctly
- Internalize and compose own pieces for debate, letters, reactions
Module 6: Music
Covers the fundamental elements of Music such a pitch, timbre, volume, notes or musical notation; the use of each note as pitch in a master staff, application of rhythm or time, note intervals, key signature, music scales and chords.
- Strengthen the concepts of Music and its existence to daily lives
- Distinguish different musical beats and move accordingly and appropriately to identified musical beats
- Discriminate loud from soft sounds; high from low sound and uniquely produce their own correctly
- Identify long and short notes; fast and slow notes and sing properly the musical notes given
- Learn the rising and falling tones same as with musical phrases
- Reinforce one’s idea and feelings about friendship same as the knowledge on different of weather and animal sounds through listening and singing relevant songs
- Enjoy the related music activities individually or as a class, likewise participate actively for effective learning
Module 7: Arts and Crafts
Entails to artistic expressions of one’s feelings and thoughts relevant to local and international celebrations valued by the school and community such as Chinese New Year, National Day, Christmas, Deepavali, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc. Likewise, creative means to communicate love and appreciation to significant others such as family members, friends and teachers, etc and to Mother Earth by promoting the use of recyclable materials aside from the usual and different art media commonly known and available:
- Recognising Art as an expression of lifestyle, cultural diversity and nature of living manifested in accessories, clothing used same as from their home structures
- Provide resemblance of Art observed among different lifestyle, cultural diversity and nature of living through drawing, 3D object and making
- Express their insights on cultural diversity in any forms or Arts
- Produces textile crafts be in on clothing, towels or bags
- Critically evaluates one’s output and of others with gentleness and respect
- Experience being critique so as to learn positive response acceptance and response
Module 8: Social Studies
Social Studies will count all courses in Anthropology, Economics, Government, History, Geography and Sociology, as well as courses the General Education areas Ethical Reasoning, Societies of the World.
- Able to acquire knowledge on famous personalities of the World.
- Develop knowledge on Geographical conditions of Asian countries.
- Able to acquire knowledge on World War- II
Module 9: Physical Education
Focuses on the body and physical skills. It emphasises education in movement or the psychomotor domain. Enable students to demonstrate individually and with others the practices and values to enjoy a lifetime of active, healthy living.
- Understand the importance of physical fitness
- Identify the indicators for fitness
- Participate actively on physical activities and self monitor progress
- Explain the nature/background of the proposed games to play
- Describe and acquire necessary skills required in particular games
- Observe sportsmanship, cooperation, group support while keeping an eye for individual’s safety
- Identify and reflect on areas for improvement
Module 10: Values Education
Composes of social and experiential activities leading the students to reflect on proper care, on their love, respect and contribution to the development of self and others which include their classmates, friends, family members, neighbours, community and the world at large.
- Acquire the value of honesty; to identify the truth, verbalise it and consider it prior to decision making
- Show positive attitude and constructivism in accepting mistakes, other’s feedbacks and expressing one’s concerns too
- Share meaningful experiences showing the ability to understand others
- Manifest respect, helpfulness and kindness to others especially to peers, family and neighbours even there are differences in culture, language and interests
- Care for both living and nonliving things around
Classroom learning, lessons to be conducted at NYU Language School.
All our teachers are registered with the Committee for Private Education (CPE).
Primary 3 or equivalent.
Assessment and Examination
- Behaviour 15%
- Attendance 15%
- Seatworks/Quizzes 30%
- Graded Recitation 5%
- Graded Term Test 35%
The performance grading will be as follows:
|Outstanding||90 - 100|
|Very Satisfactory||75 - 89|
|Satisfactory||50 - 74|
|Failed||0 - 49|
Course Schedule and Fees
Details of course schedules and school fees can be found here.